Updated 07/21/2012
Curious, as always, I wanted to know if some of things I read were based on history or if they were added to the new history that Matthew and Diana create. I am re-reading SoN and here are some of the answers I have discovered:
- I was unfamiliar with the name George Chapman and was curious since Diana is also relatively unfamiliar with his name (and she is a History of Science professor). He wrote a poem titled "The Shadow of Night" dedicated to Matthew Roydon
- There really were witch trials in Berwick in 1590 and Widow Sampson was a real person who died just as described in the book.
- Definition of Gallowglass - a class of elite mercenary warriors who principally were members of the Norse-Gaelic clans of Scotland between the mid 13th century and late 16th century.
- When Matthew and Diana are travelling to France they stay at a friend of the family's house. Matthew mentions his name is René. Very brief searching and I found René of Anjou. You can still visit his castle today. I think I may remember Deborah mentioning that she visited while researching for this book...anyone else remember that FB post???
- Malleus Maleficarum was really a book that was used to persecute witches both in the 16th and 17th centuries. You can read the Malleus Maleficarum online here.
- Goddess Diana - In Roman mythology goddess of the hunt, moon, and birthing and could talk to the animals. Also known as the Greek goddess, Artemis. Had a twin brother, Apollo. (Diana had a "vanishing" fetal twin brother that she absorbed and retained his magical powers.)
Kelly
No comments:
Post a Comment